Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Hunger Games

Yes folks it's true, I've finally gotten around to reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and I'm so glad that I have.
Summary:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.
Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love. (Summary found at http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/about-the-book.htm)

Official Reviews:  "I was so obsessed with this book....The Hunger Games is amazing." Stephanie Meyer author of the Twilight series.
 "exciting, poignant, thoughtful, and breathtaking by turns" Elizabeth Bird of the School Library Journal
"brilliantly plotted and perfectly paced the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins's convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine." John Green of The New York Times
"closest thing to a perfect adventure novel" Rick Riordan
Kirkus Review also gave the book a good review but writes "poor copyediting in the first printing will distract careful readers—a crying shame"
Stephen King praised the addictiveness of the book but said the "displays of authorial laziness that kids will accept more readily than adults" Overall he rated the book with a B grade. (Reviews found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games)

My Review: After months of being told by multitudes of people how much they enjoyed reading the Hunger Games, I finally borrowed it from the library and I wasn't able to put it down. The plot is intense with twists and turns on every page. A phenomenal book (and hey, with the holidays right around the corner, it'd make a great gift). There are more violent adult themes so I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone under twelve, but otherwise, I would recommend it to everyone. Oh, and in case you haven't heard, the Hunger Games movie comes to theatres in the US March 23, 2012. May the odds be in your favor.
I know I've probably said this a million times, but I do need your help in expanding this website. I'd love to read what you thought of this book or any other book I've reviewed, and if you have a book suggestion for me, leave a comment and let me know. For mobile updates you can check out my twitter page and follow the Teen-Reads-Referee @Teen_Reads_Ref. Thank you so much for your support, and remember, with your help we can spark the Reading Revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment